Friday, April 16, 2010

There is an odd symmetry to my life

Bear with me, I'm having a moment. This week was National Library Week. In the footsteps of my predecessor, I brought in a coffeepot and provided coffee for patrons all week.

12 years ago I was a waitress. I bussed tables, chopped vegetables, and made coffee. Pot after pot of coffee. Waitressing at Pizza Hut is about the most thankless job I've ever encountered. I had up to 15 tables to serve at a time, and my tips averaged a dollar a table. People, for the most part, treated me like dirt. If you have ever snapped at a Pizza Hut waitress, shame on you.

Now I am an administrator. I made my first hire today. I am entrusted with a substantial budget. I was making a fresh pot of coffee when it hit me: I was doing the exact same thing 12 years ago. There's a life lesson in there somewhere.

*I apologize to anyone reading this blog to learn about Korea. Every writer devolves into "me me me me me" passages once and awhile. Consider my self refection over.

No comments: