Monday, May 30, 2016

Travelers and denizens

This article came out in the New York Times on Wednesday. It’s about Wilkes County, which is close to where Bobby is from. I think it’s very apt—at least, it reflects my own observations, made over many years. When I talked to Bobby about the article, he was very insistent that Wilkes County is DIFFERENT from Yadkin County, though they look the same to me.


That reminded me of Korea. Koreans will insist that Daegu is different from Gyeongju, but to us outsiders, they look very similar. The people have similar traditions. The food is similar. The appearance of the towns is very similar, in the same way that Korea is very similar to Japan if you’re from the western world (though this is heresy when spoken to natives).
It got me thinking about community and about how I am a perpetual outsider, always observing other cultures but never truly entrenched in them. I see the similarities on a macro level, but I don’t get close enough to see the differences. Perhaps that’s how I was made: a born traveler. Bobby grew up with a very strong sense of community and a defined culture. He has now had his time observing from afar, but I don’t think he’s truly at home as an outsider.
I don’t think the distinction between “traveler” and “denizen” is one of location. Members of the military move around a lot, often around the world, but they’ve still managed to develop a tight community. Outsiders may think the Army and Marine Corps are similar, but to members, they are very, very different.
In my case, I don’t think I’ve ever been a part of a community, not really.  I lived in North Carolina for the first 27 years of my life, but I sloughed off a lot of my southern-ness years ago. I was raised by Yankees anyways. The only history I have in North Carolina is mine, and it wasn’t hard for me to say goodbye. My friends and family, fellow travelers or denizens in search of a home, were gone already.
I’m not sad about this. I’m not saying this humble-braggingly (really), but I don’t think I’m hard wired to belong. I think the world needs travelers and denizens, and I just happen to be a traveler.



No comments: