Saturday, June 11, 2011

More miscellanea

Well, it's been about two weeks since I've written anything. A few things have happened. We bought a new couch from the PX, we went back to Haeundae Beach for another sand festival, we had an ultrasound and discovered that the baby is a boy... I have been trying to tell people about the baby, since it's starting to show. One of my more traditionally minded staff members told me that Korean women don't tell anyone they are pregnant. That doesn't surprise me given the subtlety of the culture, but I'm starting to tire of hearing about these fictitious Korean women. Apparently, Korean women also prefer to stay home and take care of their families. I haven't met any of these women. I think they exist mainly in the mind of my employee. He's not the sharpest tack, and I'm sure his wife and daughter have him convinced that they are these “Korean women” while conducting their own lives as they please. Not that this is an original strategy—I'm sure women everywhere have been doing it for centuries. Now, given the tendency of Koreans to inform a person that they have gained too much weight, I wonder how pregnant Korean women deal with that (along with morning sickness, mood swings, exhaustion, etc) without telling the concerned individual that they are pregnant. Maybe they sock him or her in the jaw.

At any rate, I got pretty burned at the beach, but it was nice to go back. I forgot the camera, of course, but I think the sculptures were actually better this year. Bobby has gotten into cooking, and he cooked us a nice meal last night. He also baked a loaf of challah bread. I guess that's it for now.

No comments: