Monday, March 19, 2012

My baby is not cold


Everyone loves to tell you how to care for a baby. From what I've read, this desire crosses cultures, gender, ethnicity, and age group. In Korea, people love to tell you that your baby is not warm enough.

Korean women who give birth in the summer are not supposed to run air conditioning in their homes. No matter what time of year they give birth, Korean women are not supposed to shower for one week to thirty days to avoid hypothermia, depending on who you talk to. When the nursery staff brought our baby to us in the hospital, they told us we had to turn the heat up in the room. A pamphlet we took home from the hospital told us to keep our house at a very balmy 26 degrees celcius (babycenter.co.uk tells you to keep it at 18). Koreans do tend to be more cold natured than us, so perhaps that's part of it.

Since then, every time I he has encountered my baby, Mr. Pan has told me he was not dressed warmly enough. It's become like a greeting between him and Xander. When I take Xander out, old ladies tell me he is cold. When I take him in his snowsuit, they tell me it's too cold to take a baby outside. Today was definitely the winner, when I sat in my office and listened to one of my staff tell a lady that her baby was hiccuping because she was too cold. I should add that a major gripe I have had about the library and other on post facilities is that they are way too hot in the winter, probably because Koreans are cold natured. So the baby was wearing fleece pajamas and it was about 75 degrees in the library.  Nuff said.  I am eager to see how babies are dressed in the summer.  I never paid much attention before now.
Fast asleep

His hands are so yesterday.  His feet are the hot new thing.

Super baby!

He had this long, complex conversation with his giraffe that he cut off when I turned on the camera

1 comment:

Julie Dee said...

oh my gosh, he is so beautiful! I want to hold him again, and watch him talk to his giraffe. Grandma pangs!!!!!