Saturday, May 26, 2012

50 Shades of Collection Development Policies

Here's a secret: there is smut in my library.  Don't tell.  I am very aware of this, as I am aware of the multitudes who enjoy reading it.  Once and awhile, someone will call my attention to the content of these dirty books, expecting me to be shocked that they slipped past my radar.  Of course, I can't quantify this, but my circulation figures tell me that there's a silent majority, or at least a plurality, that really enjoy those books.  And it is my job, first and foremost, to give the community what they want.

So recently the wildly popular 50 Shades of Grey trilogy has brought the issue of erotica in the library to the forefront.  Some libraries have purchased the trilogy, and some haven't, citing collection development policies that don't allow them to purchase "erotica" or unreviewed, self published titles.  I would imagine that most of those libraries carry some erotica, whether its the works of Laurel K. Hamilton and Eric Jerome Dickey or more classic titles like Lady Chatterly's Lover and Tropic of Cancer.  I would also wager that many of them carry The Shack, which a religious themed self published hit.  So here's my two cents: people want to read what they want to read.  It was never our job to be the book police.

I'm watching our catalog to see what other librarians agree with me.

No comments: