Monday, February 9, 2015

February

I have to say, I am enjoying the un-February like weather here. This used to be the worst time of the year for me, as I imagine it is for many people who live where there is still winter. Living here is such a struggle financially, and I'm not sorry to say that we may be poor, but at least there's no winter. Boo-yah.

I had one of my bigger parenting fails last week. X loves to ride his bicycle at the farmer's market, which is held at a local elementary school with lots of walkways for smooth riding. When I packed him into the car to go, I left the bicycle on the curb. He didn't want to leave it. "Trust me," I said. Then I drove off without it. By the time I realized my mistake two hours later, the bike was gone. I told my son to trust me, and I let him down, losing his prized possession. I was inconsolable.

The next day, I went to the Sunday market to ask if one of the vendors had seen the bike. As soon as he saw me, uncle N told me that he had the bike and that he would bring it the next week. He took it with him because he knew X, and he knew we would be back on Saturday. Once again, I'm rescued by the generosity of our community. When he recovered his bike this past Saturday, X rode around gleefully, weaving in and out of the old Japanese ladies who frequent the Saturday farmer's market.

On the Pu'u Olia Trail




They stopped before I did.

Here he is at Tantalus Lookout. He has grown! Our picture last year has his head several inches below that top bar.

Reunited and it feels so good!

He will wear daddy's hat, but not his own. At Waimanalo Bay.

No comments: