Sunday, March 20, 2016

X Stories

It's been awhile. I haven't had the burning desire to write anything as of late. While I was thinking about my blogging haitus the other day, I realized that there are a few X stories I would like to write down.

The day after President's Day, X's day care didn't open until 9:30am. Unfortunately, toddler story time started at 9. I was very nervous about bringing X to my story time. The last time, he had a very hard time with other kids paying attention to his mommy. He ended up sitting in the back with his dad, getting lectured about being nice. And this time, I didn't have dad.

So we rehearsed the entire program. I made sure X new every song and story, and we practiced having him in front next to me, leading the group. When the day arrived, however, X quickly abandoned me and sat with the other kids. Despite my unease, I let him stay. And lo and behold, he performed his duties as librarian's kid professionally. He made sure the other kids knew how to follow along. He got everyone toddler chairs to sit in. He made everyone hold hands for the closing song, which was a total improvisation on his part. After we were done, he got everyone puzzles to play with and showed them what to do. It was definitely a proud mom moment.

X is much more socially bold than I am. He will plow headfirst into a group of kids and play with them, despite the lack of an invitation. Normally, the kids end up letting him stay. Watching him do this makes me very uneasy, but he doesn't seem to have any shyness about this at all. In his mind, he selects his playmates, then joins them.

Last week was the Honolulu Festival. We decided to go to Ala Moana park to watch the fireworks. There were lots of kids there, mostly Japanese. X identified a group of non-English speakers, honed in on them, and followed them around until he got to play. I guess when you're doing little kid things like chasing each other and collecting sticks, language isn't a factor. No one seemed to mind. Bobby and I got a little nervous when he started hovering around this Japanese family's snack table, but he behaved himself.

Today we went to a city sponsored Easter egg hunt. X's current obsession is blue. We spoke to him about many things before the hunt: not pushing, not taking other kids eggs, and not hitting. We did not speak to him about picking eggs of different colors. X almost lost out on his 10 allowed eggs because he would only pick up the blue ones. Almost.

Picking pineapples at the Children's Discovery Center

Optimus Prime at the playground

Sporting his blue bunny ears

Lining up for an easter egg hunt

Collecting eggs

No comments: