Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Here We Are

I know trips halfway around the world aren't the arduous journeys they once were, but this one was still quite a voyage. At 5:00 am Charlotte time, Bobby and I entered airport world, and 24 hours later we are sitting here in Seoul awaiting our final flight. There is something very surreal about spending so much time in airplanes and airports. Maybe it's the recirculated air. Anyways, obstacles we encountered on our journey were many: I got airsick for the first time, we were sent to the customs office in Seoul when I blithely reported that I planned to stay in Daegu for two years, despite my lack of a visa, and we quested for an ATM that would accept our cards once we arrived in Incheon. The fifth one worked, and we were rewarded with coffee and dinner.

I have already encountered a few strange and interesting things. There was a white noise machine in my bathroom stall. We had dinner at a Korean food court, which is nothing like the American variety. Bobby and I placed our orders at the counter and paid for our food. We then helped ourselves to some free appetizers and waited for our number to appear over the food counter. Once it did, Bobby retrieved two huge wooden bowls of food, still steaming, along with additional bowls of soup and rice, while I got our utensils: steel chopsticks and spoons. Our utensils all came from a UV heater, which I guess keeps them sanitary. The food was tasty, though spicy, and Bobby was pleased with his pork.

Next stop, Daegu! I can't wait to take a shower.

No comments: