Friday, November 20, 2009

Thank Heaven for Weekends

Well, I've hit the ground running here. Between racing around around trying to accomplish all the little things I need for my job—access to my computer, ID card, housing, bank account-- in the overly complicated way the Army likes to do them, I have been trying to make plans for my lovely but underutilized libraries. I had a ACOE inspection this week (ACOE=Army Community of Excellence, it's a big deal and Daegu won third place last year. This year we are finalists again). On Monday, the regional librarian is coming in from Seoul to inspect my two branches. Being new, I am off the hook for the status of my branches, but she may pile a lot of work on me depending on what she thinks.

But enough work, I'm boring myself. This weekend we intend to explore a little more of Daegu. First stop: the lovely Dongwha-sa. This is a buddhist temple complex nestled in one of the mountains behind Daegu. The elaborately carved and painted buildings set against the backdrop of the mountains is an inspiring sight, even though I don't understand much about Buddhism. There were a lot of religious tourists who bowed to each icon and prayed in several of the temples. There was a chant going on in one building that reminded me of old American slave songs—soulful and rhythmic. There were several small piles of rock scattered everywhere, and we puzzled over what these could mean. I suppose I will ask the incomparable Mr. Pan, my guide, translator, and best Korean friend.

On the bus ride up the mountain, Bobby and I befriended the talkative Dr. Lee. All Koreans take English in grammar school, and many like to practice when they encounter westerners, who are few and far between here. We have had several impromptu conversations with inquisitive Koreans. Dr. Lee talked to Bobby throughout the bus ride, and his questions included, “is your wife a good wife? How much do you like her?” Last night we visited a bar which was advertised as an expat venue but was filled with Korean English students, all of whom wanted to talk to us. I'll admit, I don't mind being popular, and I have met some interesting people.

Koreans as a whole are very friendly and solicitous of foreigners. Every time Bobby and I become confused about something like buying subway tokens or looking for a landmark, someone will step up and try to help us, even if they don't speak English. We had lunch at a Korean restaurant, and the owner's wife chatted at us in Korean a bit. I said, “mien hamnida, hongukmaleul chogon arayo (I'm sorry, I only understand a little Korean)” and she said “Choedoyo (me neither)”

I'll leave you with a description of Daegu apples. Daegu is famous for its apples, and with good reason. They are sweet, crisp, juicy, and grown right outside of the city (like everything else. The area around Daegu is full of farms and greenhouses. I can't imagine why I will ever use the commissary). I tried to buy one apple from a street vendor, but she dumped her entire bowl in my bag for the same price. Now I will have a Daegu apple feast.


Okay, I just thought this guy was cool. I think he's pointing out an ATM (all ATM's have 365 on them)



















Buddha and me. Notice the woman burning incense in the background and the shoes next to the mat. This was one of many places on the grounds where people took their shoes off and performed devotionals.










Yes, this appears to be a swastika. My realtor told me that that is a symbol for divinity on this side of the world.










Bobby and a minor god. I think he identifies.
















These are the trees that Dongwhasa is named for. I will have to come back in the spring when they blossom.

No comments: