Saturday, February 13, 2010

President's Valentine's New Year

Well, this was day one of my lovely three day weekend, thanks to President's Day. Incidentally, it's also Lunar New Year, which is a big holiday over here. I asked my guys if there was anything going on for migu (Americans) around town, but apparently there's nothing. Korean New Year, unlike Chinese New Year, is a pretty family oriented event. I was hoping for paper lanterns and dragon parades, and I couldn't hide my dismay.

Nevertheless, there's definitely a holiday atmosphere around here. I could barely get through the door at the Home Plus, as everyone was shopping for the big meals they'll make this weekend. The roads are clogged, as we were warned in advance they would be. On Korean New Year, everyone goes home to be with their families. More specifically, everyone gathers at the oldest male's house (wives go with their husband's families). Train tickets sell out weeks in advance, so there was no thought of traveling on this three day weekend. Incidentally, I saw more than one young Korean couple saying goodbye to each other for what I imagine is a long-dreaded event—a weekend spent with grandmothers and ancestors and far from ones friends and girlfriends. Adolescence, I've discovered, knows no nationality.

This weekend we also have a houseguest. Blackjack was boarding at Bobby's animal hospital, but no one will be around to watch him this weekend, so we took him in. It's certainly no chore. Jack has not left Bobby's side, and though he claims to be annoyed, I know Bobby doesn't feel complete without an animal sidekick. It's been snowing for two days, though there's no accumulation on the roads.

Tomorrow I will go downtown to contest this rumor of no public events for Lunar New Year. More on this later.


Bobby and Blackjack


















Snow on our mountain










Kimchi jars. Making kimchi is a complicated process that I haven't learned about, but the jars are integral. Alls I know is kimchi is available, well, everywhere, though I suppose I will have to learn to make it before I leave.









I finally brought my camera to a restaurant. This is gumtang, a.k.a ox tail soup. The metal container has rice in it, and long box is filled with spoons and chopsticks.

No comments: