Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Autumn Leaves



Since we live next to a mountain, I have eagerly anticipated the changing leaves. And then, I missed them. I'm not entirely sure how this happened. It seems like one minute, the leaves were green, and the next they were brown. I have a couple of theories:
  1. The mountains are to the north and south of me, so the light never hit them right.
  2. The leaves don't turn fiery spectacular colors like the ones on base.
  3. I've been working too damn much.

I think it's some combination of the three. I did catch some of the leaves on our street, which were cherry blossoms in the spring. In the fall, they get lovely red leaves. If I ever have a yard, I'll be sure and plant some wild cherry trees in it.

I do work a lot. I have somehow adopted this evil schedule where I work Tuesday through the following Sunday, take Monday off, then work till Friday, and take a three day weekend. Of course, there are often meetings and other hoopla that come up on Mondays, so I'll pop in for them. On paper, it sounds nice to have a three day weekend every other week, but the preceding 10 day stretch is just too much for me. I know, I know, Koreans work 6 days a week. I'm just not cut out for it.

In other news, we've been here a year now! Woohoo! A nice celebratory dinner is somewhere in our less hectic future. The time flies, and I find us facing another Korean winter (inject whatever the opposite of woohoo is here.)

I'd be remiss if I ended this post without mentioning Bob. A good friend died last week. Bob Remsburg was like a grandfather to me, and I feel his loss like I would (did) my grandfather's. I'm sorry I can't go to the funeral, but I am saying goodbye in my own way. Bob Remsburg, thanks for everything.
Bob and Mary Remsburg and Bobby at our wedding

The last time we were all together.  That's Bob in the back.

The cherry trees changing color.

That's today.  The red comes from the setting sun, I think, 'cause it's pretty much all gray now.


I think she's too big to be a lap dog, but Bobby begs to differ



No comments: