Saturday, November 6, 2010

My Trip to YUMC

On Thursday, I was reminded that Korea is an easy place to be an English speaking foreigner. I developed this godawful pain in my abdomen very suddenly on Thursday morning. I have never felt anything like it. While I was making a scene, Bobby frantically called Mr. Pan and had him cover for me. I happened to know that Yeungnam University Medical Center is close to our house—well, there's no happen about it. It's, of course, very important to know your closest hospital, and I had this scenario worked out in my mind shortly after we moved in. Anyways, Bobby helped me hobble to the car and we took off. When we got there, I made it to the international reception desk, which has a bevy of translators. A nice lady took me to see a gastroenterologist, and by the time we got into the office the pain was very manageable. I felt silly being in a hospital for it. Nonetheless, they gave me a once over and got an extensive medical history. The doctor actually spoke English as well. I left with medicine for an ulcer and gastritis. I guess they were covering their bases.

The medicines are Korean, but they worked well. The pain has disappeared, and I'm glad it wasn't my appendix. That was my first thought. In the back of my mind, I keep remembering when the Chinese herbalists in Beijing asked me if I had poor circulation and pains in my stomach. I wonder if the two are related. I have been consulting my good friend internet, and poor circulation may also finally explain to me why my legs hurt so badly sometimes. They have done so my entire life, and I'm completely clueless as to what brings it on. I wish I could find an oriental clinic here with an English speaker. I will have to start questing.

Okay, full stop.  Going to the hospital was my wake up call about dealing with stress.  Since we got back from China, I have been working nonstop.  Literally.  I did not take a day off until I was forced to.  The thing is, I'm still learning this management thing.  I have always had the opinion that if you don't like something, you stop complaining and change it.  Now that I have some power, I feel obligated to fix all of the problems.  I am finding that this is a little beyond my limits as a human being, and I need to learn how to step back a bit and pick my battles.  I hope this isn't my first step towards "jaded-bureaucrat-collecting-bloated-salary-for-a-living." 

No comments: