Saturday, December 25, 2010

Melly Clistmas to All

This week has been hectic, but fun. On Monday, I had a Christmas ornament making party that drew in an unprecedented 35+ people. I crammed as many in as I could, then I started sending people away. Library events normally draw ten to fifteen people, so I was unprepared for the rush but glad to get the attention. Storytime has been well attended recently as well. I think the library is on the up and up.

On Wednesday, I had some kids from the youth center come in for a storytime. We read some of my old favorites, The Polar Express and The Grinch Who Stole Christmas. The Polar Express was once a family tradition, and I was glad to read it to the kids, though they did keep making references to the movie! They sang some songs from The Grinch for me, holding hands and swaying like the whos. I think Christmas is far more fun when there are kids involved.

On Christmas Eve I made a chicken pot pie, which is kind of a tradition, and we gave some to our neighbor, Jin. He gave us a bowl of kimchi. I admit, I'm kind of over kimchi, but the homemade stuff is okay. It works wonders for the digestive tract.

On Christmas Day we had reservations at the Novotel, and we went downtown early in order to catch the new Harry Potter movie. Well, despite leaving at 4pm,we couldn't get into a single showing that would let out in time for our 8pm reservation. We tried four theaters, then bought tickets for the next day. We then wandered around for three hours, stopping for coffee.

The Christmas buffet at the Novotel was something. I actually liked the dinner we had last year better, but this one came with a Korean santa (he had clown shoes and made balloon animals), a beautiful view, and rows and rows of dessert tables. The place was packed, and the food was pretty good. Bobby got a robster (I will now always think of them as robsters). Our place card said “Hyarey,” which I guess is our Korean name.

The cats and dog got Christmas meals, despite the cats' sincere effort to wreck our tree. While we were gone last weekend, they managed to destroy the green lights as well as pulling some of my favorite ornaments off and batting them around the living room. Green is my favorite color! Little devils. Bobby got a PSP and I got an external hard drive and a mink robe. Of course, we bought a Christmas cake. This year was Bobby's choice. He went with the chocolate cake.
Puck next to our ravaged tree


Wrapping paper is Loki's favorite thing about Christmas

Us at the Novotel.  On my right is half of Korean Santa.

This year's Christmas cake

The Dragon Hill Lodge in Seoul.  They really do it up for Christmas



No comments: