Friday, May 27, 2011

Fun in Kansas

*Okay, I am posting this now, but I wrote it a week ago.  NC was wonderful, and I realized how much I miss it and my family.  Here's Kansas:


I'm back at the airport after an eventful two weeks in Kansas. I had actually planned to catch up on my writing during my training, but I spent most of my time in class, recovering from the time difference or out. Yes, out. In Leavenworth, Kansas. I met a fun an interesting group of people in training, and we spent a lot of time exploring Leavenworth. There are some fun restaurants around town, and I spent some time designated driving people around. Fort Leavenworth is actually an interesting place. It's got a lot of history, complete with monuments and plaques. It's also got the big military prison, or USDB, which we didn't even get close to, and a big federal penitentiary. The old USDB is now a bunch of offices and a pretty good restaurant.

So, as usual, I got much more out of the people I met in training than the actual training. There were several young US civilians, like myself, with less than five years of experience under their belts. At work, I am the youngest person by about fifteen years, so it was wonderful to share ideas with people from my generation.

Over the weekend, I went to Kansas City with my closest friend who just got engaged, where I again found myself designated driving. We saw an art museum, a zoo, and went to a fantastic restaurant called Beer Kitchen. I am told that Beer Kitchen has wonderful beer cocktails. I spent a lot of time wishing I was a man, so I could both drink and have children. Oh well! I guess I was making up for all those times that I wasn't the designated driver.

And now I'm off to Charlotte for a short stint with my parents.

Cheers!

No comments: