Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy (late) Mother's Day

I'm at the tail end of a four hour layover in Incheon Airport, one of the best airports I have been to. Case in point: at the moment I am in the free wifi lounge. Wifi in airports is a common amenity, free wifi is not. I would also like to take a moment to thank Korean airlines. I have had some crummy experiences with airlines, and none of them were with Korean air. I have never had a flight delay the entire time I have been here, which is remarkable. In my last two years in the states, I had one flight cancelled because the plane was elsewhere, another cancelled because the plane was grounded by the FAA, delays for broken plane parts, delays because we were “waiting on the plane,” if you can think of an error in airline service that would cause a delay or cancellation, I have probably had it. As I was flying into Incheon today, I noticed that there are quite a few Korean Air planes in a plane parking lot. Viola! Korean air has enough planes in its fleet to pull planes out of rotation, give them proper maintenance, not fly one plane 8 times a day, and probably even provide a substitute if one plane doesn't arrive. Just a suggestion, US Airways: be more like Korean Air!

Alas, far more and better lines of text have been devoted to failures in United States air service than I can write. I wanted to mention Korean Air, and Asian air service in general, to note that it doesn't have to be that way. When I book trips here, I assume that the plane will be on time and I can make my connection. I can never assume that in the states.

In other news, happy Mother's Day! I can't top my post from last year. Or can I? Okay, full disclosure just shy of the recommended 12 weeks—I'm pregnant. 11 weeks so, to be exact.  My mother lost her mother this year, and she will gain a grandchild in November. And so the world turns. I am wondering how flying long distance will mesh with the almost-gone morning sickness that I struggled with weeks five through nine. Don't worry, I won't tell. Wish me luck!

No comments: