Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Big Five


Something significant is shaking up the book world. The US Justice Department is suing the big five publishers for price fixing. If you have little interest in this, here's a video of Xander playing with Pororo, who is the Elmo of Korea.



Still paying attention? The big five have owned the book world for years. They account for almost all of the publishing of general interest and popular books. They steadily raise the price of hardcover books every couple of years, which has always caused me to grumble. Someone's hackles went up when ebooks that used to cost $8.99 and $9.99 started costing $14.99, which is about the price of a trade paperback. I have been wondering when the trustbusters would look to the publishing world, which is quite often at odds with libraries for obvious reasons. It looks like they finally have.

Speaking of books, I have completely converted. A year ago, I downloaded my first ebook. I never saw the need to have an ebook reader, since I have such a readily available supply of free paper books. That was before the baby. I can read my kindle one-handed while I feed the baby or rock him, and there are no turning pages to wake him up. I can download my book to three separate devices, so when I find myself stuck on the side of the road in a civil defense drill as I was on Thursday, I can pull up my book on my ipod. I can check out kindle books from the library now, so I don't even have to pay for most of them.   

No comments: