Friday, April 13, 2012

Role reversal

I've had another one of those realizations that I have changed dramatically today.  And no, this time it's not about having a baby.  This time, it's about going from a front line employee to management.

I used to hate it when I would argue with a patron over some library policy, and they would ask for the manager, who would then undermine me by overriding whatever policy I was trying to enforce.  I used to feel like my boss didn't have my back.

I find myself doing the exact same thing these days, and often.  It tears at me a little each time I stomp on my employee's decision, which, to make it more unfair, is probably in support of some policy I made or approved.  I do it because, for example, Mrs. X borrows about 30 books a week for her family.  Shutting down her library account over a DVD that I know she probably still has, though she swears she returned it, would be detrimental to the library.  Not only does she contribute to our statistics, but when times are tight--and they often are--and our hours of operation and staff are threatened, she will have a huge problem with this.  This is worth a lost DVD.

I act like an unsupportive jerk with full understanding of what I am doing, which doesn't make it easier.  Honestly, it's easier with my Korean employees, who seem to believe that managers can do whatever they like.  I would like to talk to some of my former managers and say that I understand now.

No comments: