Saturday, June 15, 2013

Settling In

We've fallen into a sort of routine: I work, Bobby drives me back and forth and takes Xander to the playground, and on weekends we go to the beach.  We're still spending a little more than I'm used to.  Hawaii is expensive.  Like, very expensive.  We try to eat out of the Safeway, and I'm still trying to figure out how to get our grocery bill under control.

We found a nice daycare for Xander, and Bobby starts his new job on Monday.  We sign the lease papers on our not-perfect-but-adequate apartment today.  Bobby's scrambling to get a car today so that he can get to work.  Hopefully he'll come home with one.

We have learned to appreciate my hatchback car.  It's loaded with our beach chairs, some buckets and shovels, and the cooler.  When unloaded, the hatchback is perfect for changing Xander or tailgating.

We found a farmer's market that plays live music and is playground-adjacent.  While we are in Kailua (and possibly later), this will be our Sunday morning routine.  I know I've said it before, but it's great to be back.  There's a lot of live music here and a lot of picnics.

Hawaiians are so nice.  When I'm driving, I never have to wait too long to merge.  Someone always lets me in.  Someone stopped to help Bobby change a tire.  I think the sunshine makes everyone laid back, despite the high prices!  I'm going to have to absorb some of that cool-headedness.

The playground at our future apartment complex

The kids room at the base library

Some kind of sacred rock thingy.  The water was beautiful that day.



No comments: