Sunday, October 20, 2013

Aloha Parenting

I found this post languishing in my drafts.  We took X to the Waikiki Aquarium a few weeks ago.  We were victims of a little passive aggressive parent shaming.   X was climbing up and down these stone steps outside an another parent told her child that the steps were not a toy.  I guiltily pulled X off of the steps.  He proceeded to grab a nut and throw it around, chasing it, while Bobby called him, "a nut with a nut."  He was probably burning off the sugary danish we gave him in the morning.  The other mom was giving her toddler a biology lesson.  They probably had granola for breakfast.

We felt a little like lazy parents, but hey.  It was a beautiful day, and X was happy.  He wanted to be friends with the good kid, but I guess his parents had warned him.

The aquarium, by the way, was fantastic.  They had little toddler step stools at the base of all of the tanks, perfect for X to peer in.

Having a snack on the Judd Memorial Trail

A really cool sunset.  It looks like the mountain is on fire.

Fish!




A nut chasing a nut

"Will you be my friend?" "My mom thinks you're a bad influence."





1 comment:

Julie Dee said...

Oh, this is really funny. When you and La were little I let you play on the rails and planters in a sitting area of Hanes Mall, at least until a security cop came by and told me "this was not a play area". It was a rainy day, you guys were happy, and no plants or other objects were being harmed--what a killjoy. We left over your loud protests.