Monday, May 25, 2015

Memorial Day Weekend

Well, the weekend has been packed with adventures and misadventures. On Saturday, X and I went to the leeward side in search of sunshine. Seriously, it was in the 70's and windy over here! We biked through Kapiolani Park and headed toward the beach, where X promptly crashed. In true three-year-old fashion, he urged me onwards, let me set up our towels and change his clothes, then said he wanted to go home. In true "asshole parent" fashion (thanks, La!), I told him to lie down on the towel and went swimming.

Riding his bike

Looking at ducks

On the beach

On Sunday, we saw the Maunawili Demonstration Trail. Despite the snore-inducing name, it was quite nice. We only hiked a mile in, then turned around and came home. You don't have to make a whole lot of effort to get a nice view, which works for X and out-of-shape Bobby.

There was a moment when, in a shady...well, I don't know what you call it. The Koolaus ripple, so you sometimes hike in what looks like the folds of a blanket. Anyways, we were in this shady ripple, it was chilly, and X started having a conversation with someone. There were a lot of the prayer stones that I would see in Korea around. I was very creeped out, as we haoles have some bad history with the native Hawaiians, but X told us that "sir is happy" so I guess it was all good.

Setting out

Nice view

in front of a water tower

Overlook

Helping X get down the stairs

He's 3, in case you were wondering
Sunday evening, an hour after Bobby left for work, I rapidly realized that I was coming down with this bug that X had. Excellent timing, as I had to wrangle X for the next 24 hours unaided. I caught him sticking his hand in the toilet and licking it, which may explain why he's been getting sick so much recently. Kids are germ factories and should be hermetically sealed.

Happy Memorial Day!


No comments: