Saturday, May 8, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

I brag about my mother to most of my acquaintances at some point or another. Depending on whom I am talking to, I will mention that my mother is a PA, that she has a tattoo, and that she likes outdoor concerts—in fact, she attended the same Bonnaroo festival as me. This is because (I am proud to admit) my super hip, adventurous mother has had a large hand in defining the person I am. My mom wasn’t in the PTA. I can’t recall her baking cupcakes for my class, and she wasn’t a room mom for my elementary school classes. As a matter of fact, my mom worked full time for a lot of my childhood. I was a (gasp!) day care child, which, as you can tell, messed me up for life J.

Mom taught me that learning is a journey, not a destination. At the time, I felt very maligned that my mom didn't do my science projects for me or pay me for A's. Instead, with each trip to the library or Sci Works she cultivated a hunger for knowledge that continues to this day. The joy in learning that mom helped me find is something I try very hard to encourage in my young patrons.

Like many kindred spirits, I was not popular in grade school. This is partly because it didn’t occur to me that I was supposed to consider what other kids thought of me, much less care. I never heard, “what will the neighbors think?” or got the impression that I was supposed to do anything solely because the people around me said I was supposed to. Mom encouraged me to be me. A good version of me, one I can be proud of, but never anyone prettier, richer, or more pious.

Mom is a strong, independent woman who has raised three strong, independent women. She taught me to do what I want with my life, regardless of what anyone else tells me to do. She taught me that having a profession that I love is more important than having a lot of stuff, and that a good man respects who I am, not what I look like. In short, she sowed the seeds of happiness in me, and for that I am eternally grateful.

I wrote this because I couldn’t think of a good mother’s day present that will tell mom that I am thinking of her. Mom, this year your daughters are scattered all over the globe while your parents return to the nest. I want to send you peace, happiness, and enlightenment. One day I’ll get you a trip to Bermuda, but for now, this will have to do. This year, I went pretty far away, filled with the self confidence that you helped me find. I can take on the world, but you put wind in my sails.

P.S.--Dad taught me that nothing in life is free and you get out of the world what you put into it. I'll write yours next month!





















Here's my herb garden! Some are ready for using.

1 comment:

Kathryn Michaelis said...

A sweet, fitting tribute! Your mom is indeed pretty fabulous. I think she took me to my first real music festival!