Monday, June 14, 2010

Visiting home

I get almost physical pleasure from crossing things off of my to-do list. (Does that make me a weirdo? Yes.) So today I spent the rest of my book budget, traipsed through miles of classrooms and gave my shchpiel about summer reading, delivered some prizes and info to Carroll Library, and am now just about ready to go. The library will be in the capable hands of Mr. Pan while I am junketeering at ALA, and when I get back, it's summer reading time!! I'm stoked.

The last time I went back to the states after living in Wales for 3 months, it was weird. Everything was familiar, but I felt detached, like I was revisiting my childhood bedroom. I studied a dollar bill for a good 20 minutes. It was something I dealt with every day, and then didn't see for three months. It was almost new again! So this trip to the states will be interesting.

When my fellow Americans see me bowing to strangers and handing over payment with two hands, I will know that I am strange in my own country, too. But I'm used to it. I'm an outsider living in a homogenous place. I could walk down the street on my hands and the locals wouldn't stare harder at me. There's an odd easiness to social interaction when no one expects you to fit in.

US of A, here we come!

No comments: