Thursday, July 29, 2010

Apsan in Summer

* Yes, this post is a repeat.  There was an HTML hurricane, and half of the story was irretrievably lost (well, irretrievable to me since I know squat about HTML).  I also now know how to use the new blogger, so I'm going to post this again.




Monsoon season has turned Apsan mountain into a veritable rainforest overnight. Many of the paths I used to take are overgrown, there are bugs everywhere, and the riverbeds are full to bursting. I thought I would take some pictures yesterday, but it was just too wet! We hit a crossing early on that Maya wouldn't brave, and I thought that was a good sign that it may be too dangerous. Today we've enjoyed almost 24 hours with no rain, and the difference was substantial. So, camera in tow, I headed out.
I am the only person on the mountain in shorts and a tank top, probably for good reason. I got scratched and bitten to no end, but hey, at least I was cool! Koreans hike in fancy hiking clothes, complete with poles for leverage.

The path next to the river has several shrines, medicinal pools, and rock piles. I am completely lost when it comes to Korean buddhism, so I'll just have to talk about what I see.

A sacred pool, I think.  Notice the plaque.

Mr. Pan says that small piles of stones are "prayers," so maybe these are really big prayers.


There's often a broom and dustpan in the shrine.  They are all well tended.


I wonder if it's okay to bring Maya, but Buddhists believe that animals are reincarnated humans, so I hope its okay.


Fail!  This sign, which I believe says, "Daegu Bank asks you to please not smoke in the park" or something like that, is clearly facing the foliage.


There are often candles burning.  The dipper is for drinking the water, and there's more writing underneath the rock.  I see candles burning all over the river, not just in the shrines.


Old person's playground.  Public parks in Korea have exercise equipment, not play equipment.  The only people using this equipment are the elderly.  I guess all the other Koreans are just naturally svelte.

No comments: