Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Making Gimbap



My blog looks a little silly with only one cooking entry, particularly since I love to cook and do it often. I have had some successes and more failures with trying to merge Korean and American cuisine. One of my more fun experiments have been with gimbap rolls.

Gimbap rolls are somewhat like sushi without the raw fish. The Korean versions are bits of beef, kimchi, cucumbers, egg, and other stuff rolled in rice and seaweed (there are often two types of kimchi in them). They turn out pretty tasty and are less than a dollar, so many of us foreigners like to have them for lunch.

I have tried making gimbap rolls with pretty much everything I have in the fridge. One of my favorites has salami, pepperoni, pastrami, provolone cheese, lettuce, and carrots in it.

The first and most essential ingredient is sticky rice.  It comes in abundance here and is a natural adhesive.  I also have some seaweed wrappers.  I cut all of my filler ingredients into strips.

I roll everything up with the help of my handy bamboo mat.

If the roll starts to fall apart, I wet it.  If I have enough rice in the roll, it's not a problem.


Slice it up and voila!  One of mine self destructed.  Bobby likes to dunk his in soy sauce, regardless of ingredients.


Loki sez what up?


















No comments: