Sunday, July 4, 2010

When in the course of human events

Happy Independence Day! We had a fantastic day. I manned the library booth at our 4th of July Extravanganza, a festival involving games, bands, prizes, and a fantastic dance group called Korean Breakers. Google it, they're awesome. I signed several kids up for summer reading and gave away galleys, which is a very easy way to make people happy. Galleys come free to me, and people are thrilled to get free books with no strings attached. When we could hear each other, I got to talk to community members about books. I love my job!

We had a high turnout because it (somewhat miraculously) didn't rain. We are in the midst of monsoon season, which means it rains every day. From what I've seen, it rains for an hour or two and is muggy for the rest of the day. There's a permanent fog over the city. The rain is pretty intense, coming in heavy sheets that obscure even our neighboring buildings. I have been warned that swarms of mosquitoes accompany monsoon season, so I'm enjoying our relatively mosquito-free current conditions.

We watched the fireworks from the roof of our building while Bobby grilled steaks. It was a fitting end to a memorable day.

No comments: