Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Army

When I came here, I became a resident of two strange lands: The Republic of Korea and the U.S. Army. I have spent a lot of time talking about Korea, and not too much talking about the Army. This is not because I am less surprised and curious about what I find, but rather that I have had OPSEC regulations pounded into me and can't publish anything without worrying that I am “helping the enemy.” But enough of that.

Like many of us, I spent most of my younger years badmouthing the establishment. I think flirting with anarchy is a rite of passage for the privileged suburban kid. When I was 19, I went to a lot of parties, fueled myself with various substances, and bitched about the machine. Many of the men and women I encounter here are about that age, and they get up at 4 every morning and do PT.

Our fighting men and women make up the most responsible and mature community I have ever been a part of. They are respectful and courteous patrons. I don't think the staff here have ever seen an “incident”--a regular occurrence at Main Library—and I have never had so many apologies for overdue books. In a recent poll, 65% of the community said they read regularly. A larger percentage than that have library cards. They consider the library a vital part of their community, which is why I don't want for funding.

These men and women have lived all over the world, and many have seen war. I have never engaged anyone in conversation and been sorry for it. I have also never heard anyone talk about politics or religion without being asked. My former coworkers at the library will understand what a blessing that is (and not a blessed day).

The military establishment can still frustrate me at times. I have to fill out most forms at least four times before they are accepted. I can't plug a zip drive into my computer because of OPSEC regulations. The military community, however, is the best I have ever belonged to, and I am proud to be a part of it.

No comments: